Friday, October 24, 2008

It's raining Bathtub Marys!

Now that it's finally nice, cold October weather, I can more thoroughly scour the Louisville Metro for Marys without the fear of being scorched to death by the Kentucky sunshine.

I found this Mary a while ago, when I first became interested in bathtub Marys. She lives in front of a house on one of the busiest streets in Louisville, in the midst of tattoo places and hipster bars. Maybe that's why she looks like she's hiding...she just wants a moment's peace. Or she wants to get away from the Jesus figure standing next to her. I couldn't get her face in this picture without going right into the yard. It had a fence around it, and I'm a little shy about these things.


I see this Mary every day on my way to school and ask her to help me have a good day. She fits in the category of "Mary on the Half-Shell" because of her little grotto has scalloped edges. I think she's one of my favorites.

On my walk to photograph these two Marys this afternoon, two magically appeared out of nowhere. (No, don't worry, I'm not going to be like that girl in Lourdes.) I was walking down a street I travel on every day, and I noticed two that I'd never seen before. Pictures of those come later. At the risk of sounding like a religious crazy, maybe she's calling to me.

No comments: